We were up late the night before as we went back out into
the square just before midnight to see it all lit up
Hence we had a bit of a sleep in. The first thing on our
minds was to get to the Lavendaria to do our washing as we hadn’t managed to
wash any of our clothes until we had left the Canal du Midi. Apparently it
didn’t open till 10 am so we treated ourselves to some breakfast in the square
– fresh squeezed orange juice, croissant and coffee. Unfortunately though when
we got to the lavendaria we discovered it was a custom laundry and not coin
operated which meant we wouldn’t have got our clothes back until after 7pm at
night. We were ready to move on, especially as we were behind in our itinerary
already, so we still didn’t get any clothes washed. It is at this point that I
thank Heidi for suggesting I throw in extra undies in case.
Getting out of Salamanca was a lot easier than getting into
it. Karen didn’t let us down in the end.
We weren’t going to go to Toledo because we were behind with
our itinerary but I am pleased we did in the end. We decided to by-pass Madrid,
stop off at Toledo en route and spend the night somewhere south of Toledo.
I wanted to go to Toledo because I knew that Mum and Dad had
been there and enjoyed it (I wish I knew
more about their travels in Spain) I have some Toledo jewellery that they had
bought me when they were in Toledo.
It is a magnificent town on the hill above the Rio Tajo,
again steeped in history. We came across another Tren Turisto, so decided to
hop aboard. There again it was well worth it. It took us around past all the
historic sights and over the river so that we could enjoy the view
from the other side.
Before leaving the town we had to try, and also buy, some renowned
Santo Tome Marzipan. Eat your heart out Heidi. I am sorry I can’t even bring
any back for you but I did eat some for you
We did also stop off at some the stores to check out what
they had in the way of jewellery as Toledo is well known for its particular
style.
Driving out through the narrow cobbled streets was
interesting.
Karen took us safely to the destination we had picked out
from the Lonely Planet – a hostel in Ciudad Real, a smallish town with no
specific interest – just somewhere to stay for the night and to chill, not
literally though- Bill has just checked the temperature today – it was 39
degrees , thank goodness it has gone down a bit we are sitting in the Plaza
Mayor sipping beer and it is now 37 degrees!!!!
Nothing that a jug of Sangria can’t fix




Go straight back and have some marzipan for me as well.
ReplyDeleteSorry too late :-(
ReplyDeleteDo you remember that Mum used to make marzipan fruits like that and now we make them, I can tell you - ours aren't a patch on these ones. I wonder if Mum got the idea to make them from Spain. Maybe Marg will remember
I certainly do remember. Christmas time usually.
ReplyDeleteYummo! You will have to give Mum tips about Undies first Ron before Mum will eat a marzipan fruit for you ;) hehe
ReplyDelete