Di - I was trying to tell you we were enjoying a FULL breakfast with bacon eggs sausages... all included in the B and B price;-)
Anyway - the reason for ringing Di was to check if it was OK to post her travel diary on the blog. Here it is....
18th June
We left the boat at about 9.00am and watched the boat
leave without us into the first lock of the day.It was sad watching them go
without us but knowing we were all off to other adventures it was also
exciting.
The wait at Beziers station was very long as was the
train trip to Antibes. The last leg from Marseilles was in the most comfortable
seats I have ever seen in a train.
Antibes is amazing - acres of the most luxurious boats I
have ever seen. We walked around the waterfront and saw some close up but there
were so many you couldn't take it all in. We had a takeaway pizza which we had
sitting in a litttle park overlooking the water - very nice and relaxing. There
a heaps of boat brokerages with amazing boats for sale - didn't buy any of
course...
19th June
Left the hotel aftera relaxing night and breakfast to
catch a train to ventimiglia - the train weaved its way around the hills above
the waters of the Mediteranian going through Monaco and lots of little places
where huge houses were perched on the sides of hills. The water looked so
inviting - very still and flat. Lots of boats and very exclusive homes -very
much the playground of the rich and famous. I did walk past a sign near our
hotel from last night which pointed the way to Juin Les Pains - from the song
"Where Do You Go to My Lovely" by Peter Sarstedt.
Changed trains in Ventimiglio for Milan - very fast
comfortable train.
We arrived in Venice about 6.30 and not sure where to
find a water bus to take us to the hotel. When we walked out the door of the
station we could see hundreds of people and heaps of water taxi's - just to
find the right one.
We had a fast trip in an extremely crowded water bus and
we needed a bit of help to get us out to the right stop. Luckily the directions
were really good and we found the hotel in no time there was no lift so we
struggled with bags again. At least it was comfortable and we would have died
if itwasn't for the air con.the wheather here has been around 40 and incredibly
humid.
20th June
Headed out to St Marks Square - just around the corner-
to see the Doge's Palace and all the other amazing buildings. There must have
been hundreds of people there it has been so crowded wherever you go - the
bridges looklike they might collapse under the numbers. We walked everywhere
and were really ready for bed when we fnally returned to the hotel and a cold
air con room.
21st June
I headed out to do a tour of the Doge's palace and Ian
went to the Naval Museum. I am finding I can't seem to keep up my fluid levels
- I am so thirsty all the time and warm water doesn't seem to do it. By the
time I had finished in the Doges Palace I didn't have enough spit for a swallow
but found a terrific little cafe inside where I could sit and relax and have a
long cold drink.
The funniest thing I saw was 2 very tall black men with
arms loaded with fake Gucci bags flying along the side of the canal with a
policeman chasing them. They were very fast and had such long legs - the went
around and in and out of the stalls then down a little alley. The cop didn't
stand a chance. I saw them later creeping around from an alley watching 4 cops
on the bridge nearby. Needless to say they didn't set up their stall anywhere
there.
We met up early afternoon to take a boat ride to the 3
islands.The first one was Murano where they were doing the glass making. We
saw demonstration which was quite
impressive and even though the temp outtside was at least 4, we were standing
opposite the furnace and itn was blasting - good one... luckily it wasn't for
too long or I would have pssed out. They had heaps of things for sale - but all
way too expensive.
The second island had the lce makers - Burano - and the
quaint little houses painted all diferent bright colours.
The third and last island was Torcello and it was he
first area to be inhabitted around 500AD or 600AD. We seemed to have heaps of
time there but by the time you walked about a K to get to the old church and
settlement it was time to head back. It was an interesting afternoon and well
worth the time.
22nd June
Time to head off to Naples and with a bus strike it made
for an interesting trip to the train station. We were told at the hotel a bus
was leaving from the Rialto Bridge stop at 9 and it would be the last one. We
headed off on foot and arrived there at about 8.45 where a guy told us the bus
was going to the station and leaving now. We expected heaps of people to be
there but it was nearly empty. It took of and stopped only once - at the
station but since it was a bit before we didn't recognise it and didn't get
off. Once I realised i asked the driver and she said we would have to get of where
the bus finished - luckily not too far to walk back - only over one bridge -
luckily we had plenty of time. Heard 2 ladies talking about how they paid 60
and 70 Euros for a taxi to get to the station - they could obviousy afford it
and I couldn't se them running for a water bus - Americans.
It was a very enjoyable trip with free drinks in first
class which Ian took great advantage of.
We arrived in Naples at about 4.15 but took us over an
hour to find the hotel.It turnd out it ws less than 10 minues away but we took
a great big circle around but still managed to keep our cool in the 35deg heat.
We couldn't find any street names and the ones we did weren't on our map - so
frustrating. We were so glad to arrive and it is really good - lovely
comfortable room- internet in the lobby so may be able to post. We ended up
with Macdonalds for tea - less than 5 mins away in the station.....
23rd June
Up and off in a train to see Pompei. Such an amazing and
marvelous place. The train was full of teens and families of to Sorento to the
beach. It is Sat and obviously everyone is making the most of the really hot
weather. It made it a little uncomfortable walking around the vast area of
Pompei and I was glad of the taps around with beautiful cold water. They were on
old fashioned large square stone tubs and everyone was into it.I even resorted
to almost drenching my T-shirt. We were exhausted by the time we returned so an
early night.
24th June
I travelled around the city on the tourist buses. There
were 4 routes and you could hop on hop off wherever you liked. It was good
value because you got to see 4 different aspects to the city.Ian went to the
Museums and then we walked back - quite a long way so very tired when we
returned again.
25th JUne
Up early again and off to Cinque Terre - Monterosso.
Funnily enough it only took us 5 mins to get to the station.......
We had to do 5 trains and I thought we'd never get there.
Each one only an hour or so but finding the correct stations and getting of and
changing trains in a hurry (7 mins our shortest) can be a bit stressful.
Needless to say another long tiring day.
The hotel is great - we can hear a fountain down in the
garden and it is a cleaner much slower pace than we have so far seen.The sand
is grey and painfully stony....... If these people saw the Gold Coast and
hundreds of other places up and down the coast of Australia I doubt they would
come here again.....maybe I am biased.....
26th june
Out after a great breakfast - hot toast for the first
time..
We wandered the Monterosso area which was full of
interesting streets and shops. I was very hot and even though the water looked
inviting but the stones on the beach didn't. We continued wandering ad
eventually decided to brave the beach. There are seveal public beaches which
are free but very crowded. The stones really hurt so getting into the water
quickly is a feat in itself. The water was beautiful and cold - very
refreshing. We stayed in the water for a while the came straight back to the
hotel for a shower. It is too hot to stay on the beach - even at 5.00pm the sun
still has a sting and when we found a cafe for dinner we saw plenty of people
with very red skins.
27th June
Ian decided to try and do some climbing today but I
wasn't interested so stayed around Monterosso. I was going to hire a beach
lounge and umbrella but it is still too hot on the beach even for that. besdes
the stony beach was not inviting. I had a very restful day as I thnk Rome will
be very busy. An early night as we had another early start on the train.
28th June
We caught our last train and had to almost run for it
because we assumed carriage 1 would be at the front of the train...no no don't
assume anything...we had to bolt down from carriage 8 to 1 but ended up getting
onto 4 because we were last on and he was blowing his whistle. A bit frazzled
when we finally got seated after walking and dragging suitcases the length of 4
carriages. It was only 9am but already very hot and humid. Only 2 trains today.
We arrived in Rome at about 2.15pm and decided to do the
walk again but a bit smarter using a better map. It was a lot closer than first
thought andwhat a divine hotel - a beautiful room at least 50% bigger than any
of our others. It also has the oldest cutest lift - with the wire cage you have
to operate manually - the doors. We also have tea and cofee making facilities -
sheer luxury.
Since we were here so early we decided to go for a walk
and ended up at the Trevi Fountain. It's as magnificent as I imagined but
unfortunately so crowded you couldn't get near it. It was so hot too and all
the shade taken. I didn't intend to0 walk so far but worth it.
On our way back we saw the Italian verrsion of the
changing of the guard - quite impressive- they also sang which sounded terrific
- probably the national anthem.....
In has also now purchased a ticket to Amsterdam - he is
catching his plane fron there rather than Manchester.He will be leaving after
me on Sun and flies out of Amsterdam on Tues.
Tomorrow we are off tote colosseum.
Sorry if this filfs up your inbox but be thankfulI I
didn't include photos - you can see them when we return.
Cheers
Di and Ian
Hi All
Just composd for today so since Linda did a great job
putting a little of the diary on the blog thought I'd send more....
29th June
Oh what luxury - bacon and eggs for breakfast - it as
amazing and never tasted soooo good. This place is the best hotel.
Went on the metro train to see the Colusseum. Very fast
and easy to work out - but they have these amazing escalators that are so steep
and long they are scary...
We walked all day and I need one of Marg's blister pads
about now....
We saw so many ruins - every corner you go around you see
something Roman. We also went to the Vatican....
This place (Rome) is awesome and breathtaking. I just
stood in front of the colusseum and stared for ages... it was mind boggling.
I think I will take the tourist bus tomorrow - my feet
and legs will thank me.... after bacon and eggs of course.
I guess the part I am not too happy about are the beggars
and hawkers. They won't leave you alone - we almost got caught this morning but
luckily twigged before we handed over money -he was so good at what he does -
almost fooled us. He was in a car and asked directions then went on his spiel
which was that he was a rep for Armani and just happened to have some free
samples he could give us - a nice jacket and a handbag - just for being so nice
and helping him. He seemed so genuine but as soon as he asked for money for
petrol I twigged and we gave him back his samples and took off - told him we
were going home tomorrow and had run out of money - luckily he was in a one way
street going the other way so he couldn't chase us. We did have a laugh but it
certainly puts you on your guard.
i guess Linda and Miki would have seen their fair share -
I read Linda's comments about being separated - they are good at what they do.
> Cheers
> Di and Ian
> .
.
No comments:
Post a Comment